In today’s digital age, companies are on a constant quest to improve the user experience of their products and services. One tool that has proven to be a leader in this process is UserTesting. This platform, founded in 2007, allows you to earn money for providing feedback by interacting with companies’ own products.
In this article, we’ ll break down everything you need to know about UserTesting: from a detailed explanation of what it is and how it works, to how you can make money with it, which companies and products use the platform, the requirements to get started, and much more.
What is UserTesting?
UserTesting is a platform founded in 2007 that allows companies to get an inside view of how their target audience interacts with their products. In other words, it allows companies to test their products on users.
Companies use UserTesting to find testers to provide honest feedback on their new site, product and user experience. Once the company has collected enough information and feedback through UserTesting, they should have enough information to further improve their product.
How do you make money in UserTesting?
Let’s put it simply. Imagine you are on your couch, with your computer or your mobile, browsing a website or an application and, while you do it, you are commenting out loud what you like, what you don’t like, what you find confusing… Well, that’s exactly what you would do to earn money on UserTesting.
UserTesting pays you for sharing your opinions and experiences while interacting with different products or services. It’s like you’re a movie reviewer, but instead of movies, you’re reviewing websites, apps and other products.
Once you sign up and qualify for a test, you are assigned a task. This task can be, for example, buying a product from an online store, searching for information on a website, or trying out a new app. While performing the task, you must speak out loud and share your thoughts and opinions.
At the end of the task, you upload the video of your test and that’s it. You get paid for it. Typically, each test lasts about 20 minutes and you get paid $10 for each one you successfully complete. Best of all, you can do it from the comfort of your own home, at your own pace.
What companies and products does UserTesting work with?
UserTesting works with a variety of major brands such as Facebook, Wayfair, Ford, Alaska Airlines, Adobe, Walmart and more. These companies have used this platform to gain more insights on how their products, messages or applications can be improved.
Requirements to get started with UserTesting
To get started on UserTesting, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Device with Internet connection: UserTesting is done online, so you will need a device such as a PC, laptop, tablet or mobile with an Internet connection.
- Microphone: UserTesting often requires you to share your feedback through a microphone. If your device does not have a built-in microphone, you will need to purchase one.
- Email account: To register for UserTesting, you will need a valid email account. This will be used to verify your account and for future communications.
- PayPal account: UserTesting pays its testers through PayPal, so you will need to create a PayPal account to receive your payments.
- Pass the practice test: Before you can start testing, you will need to pass a UserTesting practice test. This test is designed to make sure you understand how UserTesting works and what is expected of you as a tester.
- Complete your profile: After passing the practice test, you will be asked to complete your profile. This information helps UserTesting send you available tests for which you may qualify. This generally includes information such as your location, age, household income, employment status and other information.
Remember that you must be at least 18 years old to register with UserTesting.
How much money can I earn with UserTesting?
Most tests pay $10 for successful completion. On average, you can earn $10 for every 20 minutes, which is the typical length of each test. Sometimes, you can complete a test in 5 to 10 minutes and still receive $10. It really depends on the brand and what they ask you to do on screen.
Live tests are longer tests that will have a moderator present, and you can earn $30 or $60 depending on the length of the test.
How to register and get started with UserTesting
To register and get started with UserTesting, you must follow the steps below:
- Log in to UserTesting and sign up with your email.
- Open the email to click on the verification link.
- Watch the short videos explaining how UserTesting works and what is expected of your work.
- Download the UserTesting software (a browser extension that records your voice and screen).
- Take the practice test.
Within 48 hours, you should know if you have passed the practice test.
How much can you earn with UserTesting?
The earning potential in UserTesting depends largely on how many tests you qualify for and complete. Most tests pay $10 for successful completion and typically last around 20 minutes. This means that, in theory, you could earn $30 per hour if you are able to complete three tests in an hour. However, this is not always possible due to test availability and grading criteria.
In addition, UserTesting also offers “live tests” which are longer tests with a moderator present. These tests can pay $30 or $60 depending on the length of the test.
To give you a more concrete example: Let’s say you qualify and complete one test a day for a month. This would give you a total of $300 per month. If you manage to qualify for a live test every week (in addition to your daily test), you could add another $120 to $240 to your monthly earnings, which would give you a total of $420 to $540 per month.
UserTesting reviews: is it safe and pays or is it a scam?
UserTesting is a legitimate platform that pays users for testing and providing feedback. It’s not a scam, but it’s important to note that it won’t make you rich. It is a fantastic way to earn money, and even to complement with other work from home jobs, for example, you can earn money at the same time by working as a transcriptionist.
However, you must be proactive in seeking out tests and know that you will be rejected more often than you will be accepted. Just keep taking screening tests and you’ll get in. Also, make sure you follow the instructions so that you get a good score.
As for negative reviews, some people have mentioned the lack of customer support, the scarcity of available tests, and that it requires too much effort. However, these reviews are in the minority and most users have positive experiences with the platform. You can see several user reviews on Trustpilot.